Sunday, May 13, 2012

Corn is in the ground

Today I pulled up the row of dying Alaska pea plants to make way for the corn. There was also a row of leeks in the area that I harvested. They're small but I'm sure will be mighty tasty when I use them later this week.

After hand tilling the soil and adding some compost and starter mix, I sowed three rows of corn. I did a mix of Early Sunglow and Golden Jubilee. I did this because there is a few weeks difference in maturity which means more corn over a longer period of time.

Soon to be corn
I envision a block of 9-12 plants here, depending on how they come up and their spacing. I'm hoping to plant some melon at the corners or wherever there is space to be the ground cover. I had thought about doing the "three sisters" method with corn, beans, and squash but I think I will just do corn & melon if it will work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment