Sunday, May 27, 2012

May's current crop

Well, there is less variety in the garden than when I posted April's current crop. Especially after today's pulling of the purple bush beans, gold beets, eggplant, mint, and strawberries. I'm most bummed about the eggplant; it never grew at all. The bush beans were coming on strong, but dried up and died. I may try those again in a different spot. The gold beets were also stunted and never really produced. The mint and strawberries I pulled both came from my friend across the country and did not take.

I also harvested all of the small red onions since they were starting to die and stop growing. They're small and will be tasty mixed in to something.
Small red onions

Current breakdown is 7 different vegetables and 5 herbs: pole beans, potatoes (red and Yukon gold), tomatoes (5 varieties, one of which has still yet to flower), onions (white & yellow), corn (2 varieties), chard, lettuce (2 varieties), and the herbs mint, sage, oregano, chives & chamomile.

The Cherokee Purple tomato is growing tons of blossoms but it has also been dropping them instead of them dying off and forming into fruit. I hope that changes.
Cherokee Purple tomato
I intended to sow honeydew melon today but the ground is too hard so I'm giving it a good soak to till up tomorrow. I am also going to extend the corn area as it looks like there will only be 9 plants but I will need to harvest about half of the onions to do so. I should probably go back out and soak that area so I can work it tomorrow too.
Early Sunglow corn 2 weeks after sowing

The Yukon gold plants are dying off and I will probably harvest them one night this week. Can't wait to see the full crop of them, I hope it's decent!

No comments:

Post a Comment